Joseph's has the body of a boy in his early teens with long silver hair, usually stylized with bangs that he uses to cover his eyes. He originally had blue eyes, but exchanged the left one for Chise's green eyes in order to test their compatibility with one another.
He often wears a long coat, shorts, and a striped shirt underneath suit and vest.
Because of his nature, he often has numerous body parts taken from other beings that he can shift into as the situation demands it.
Before he merged with Cartaphilus, Joseph was a caring, young gravekeeper who sought to help the dead find peace and offered to help Cartaphilus. However, because he was unable to do so and couldn't bring himself to abandon the man, he instead opted to merge with him.
Since the merger, the two halves have become conflicted to an extent, with moments where his original personality comes to the surface and he suffers memory loss.
In the present, he detests feeling pain and suffering, fearing the day when he will decay. He has no qualms in inflicting misery on other living things, everything he does stemming from the desire to avoid living in pain.
He hates being called Cartaphilus, saying that it is a cursed name and preferring to be called by his real name, Joseph.
When he was still a young gravekeeper, he lost his parents at a young age and the village he was in suffered a famine. He was blamed and beaten, but couldn't leave since he had to take care of Cartaphilus.
After they merged, Joseph spent centuries searching for the reason of his curse and to find a way to break it. He committed many horrible acts in order to stave off his body constantly rotting and being in constant pain, until he lost the ability to feel empathy.
Before the start of the series, he convinced Matthew to kill the cats of Ulthar in order to research an elixir and the resulting deaths that followed because the stagnating soul and grudges. He then visited Renfred and stole his arm, along with the knowledge of how to make a teleportation device.
Joseph first appeared during the attempt to gain Ruth and attempted to silence Alice, but ended up hitting Chise instead. Elias attacked him, but the rest of them were spirited away by Blue Flame. When they next met, Alice and Renfred shoot him with bullets that contain magic to stop regeneration.
He later appears in a dream that Chise stumbles into, lost and confused, where his old personality presumed Chise to be a spirit and tried to bring her closure. However, he soon suffered from pain that caused Chise to wake up and leave him behind, so he woke without a memory of it. Ashen Eyes then approaches him and he decides to use Stella to get close to Chise in the event that he needed to replace his body.
He later orchestrates the kidnapping of two Dragon Whelps and sells one to the auction house in an effort to pay for his expenses, which results in Chise obtaining a Dragon's Curse. He then uses Stella as a bargaining chip to get Chise to agree to exchange her curse for his, resulting in an exchange of his eye for hers. He intended to take her arm as a replacement next, but Chise then entered into his memories once again.
Enraged, he then attempts to attack her, but Elias along with several others appear to stop him and force him to retreat. Chise gives chase and then tells him that she will destroy him..
Skills and Abilities
- Body Possession: Joseph is able to take control over another person's body, as shown when he took control over Stella's body, through the use of what appear to be some form of creature.
- Curse of Immortality: Joseph gained Cartaphilus' curse of eternal life when he merged with him, leaving him in a body that is constantly degenerating. He requires a constant supply of parts to keep functional.
- Monstrous Physiology: Joseph is able to transform parts of himself into monstrous shapes due to the nature of his sorcery, having taken in many things in an effort to stave off his body rotting. This appears to give him higher strength than a normal human would have.
- Master Sorcerer: Joseph is a sorcerer of great skill. His specialty seems to be the creation of powerful chimeras, though he can also take in knowledge from others that he integrates into his body.
- Necromancer: Joseph is a descendant of necromancers, allowing him to talk to the dead and spirits. In the present, he can still use this ability to call forth the wraiths of those he killed.
- Summon Centipedes: Joseph has the uncanny ability to unleash a tidal wave of giant centipedes upon his enemies. It is not entirely clear whether this is an alchemy spell, a side effect of his curse, or a combination of both.
Joseph finds that he hates Chise for reasons that he originally can't comprehend, though its later revealed to be because his old personality was too similar to hers. However, he saw her body as a potential backup as her body would constantly heal any injuries she suffered. After she peered into his memories, he attempted to attack her.
Joseph originally took pity or empathized with Cartaphilus, taking him into his home and taking care of him. However, his efforts eventually drove him to desperation and he merged with him, resulting in his current state.
- "You might call me a monster because I do what I want regardless of what that does to others."
— to Elias
- At the end of the anime Joseph is living on Elias and Chias property as he is seen off the house in an underground cavern sleeping. Chise seems to be the one taking care of him as she is seen bringing him water and covering him up, he is shown pretending to be asleep annoyed with her coming down all the time, getting in his face checking on him.